Prime Minister Of Nepal : Overview
The post of Prime Minister of Nepal is believed to have started from 1799. There is an unconfirmed history of establishing the post of Prime Minister through Mulkaji, Dewankaji, Chautaria, Raj Pratinidhi and Mukhtiari
With the appointment of Bhimsen Thapa as the Mukhtiar, it seems that all the Mukhtiars have started calling the Prime Minister. That is why Bhimsen Thapai is referred to as the first Prime Minister of Nepal.
However, before the unification of Nepal before Damodar Pandey, Kazi Abhiman Singh Basnet also performed the title of Chief Administrator Mulkaji. Therefore, he is a person like the first Prime Minister of Unified Nepal. Similarly, Devankaji Vansharaj Pandey, Rajkumar Bahadur Shah, Mulkaji Kirtiman Singh Basnyat and Mulkaji Bakhtawar Singh Basnyat are seen as clear representatives.
Let’s see how many became the Prime Minister when the Federal Republic came to Nepal?
After the unification of Nepal, from 1768 to 1799, there used to be personalities like the Prime Minister, that is, Mulkajis like the Prime Minister, Dewankaji, Chautaria, Rajpratinidhi, Mukhtiari. Whose name is as follows in order.
Abhiman Singh Basnyat
Sarvajit Rana Magar
Swaroop Singh Karki
Bahadur Shah Chautaria
Kirtiman Singh Basnyat
Bakhtawar Singh Basnyat
Ranjit Pandey and Damodar Pandey are also said to be Mulkaji. The exact date of his tenure is not clear.
From 1859 to 1903 BS
The following is the list of Mukhtiaris of the Kingdom of Nepal from 1859 to 1903 BS. At that time, Mukhtiari was the prime minister doing the same thing.
- Damodar Pandey was the administrative leader of the country from 1859 BS to 3 March 1860 BS.
- Ranbahadur Shah From 1860 to 1863, he held the post of Chief Preparatory Officer. He was especially king.
- Bhimsen Thapale Visn. Mukhtiari was from April 1863 to 1889. He is known as the first prime minister of the country. Ranjang Pandey ,He was the Mukhtiari of Nepal from 1837 to 1837. However, he does not appear to have been addressed as prime minister.
- Similarly, Pandit Ranganath Poudel also assumed the administrative leadership of the country. He is called Mukhtiari.
- Puskar Shah had led the country in the same administrative capacity as the Prime Minister.
- Ranjung Pandey was granted independence from 1896 BS to 1897 BS.
- Chautaria Fatehjang Shah He was the Mukhtiari from 1897 to 1900.
- Mathwar Singh Thapa B.Sc. Mukhtiari was from 1900 to 1902.
Mathar Singh Thapa as the 6th Prime Minister in the list of those who became the Prime Minister of the Kingdom of Nepal from 1859 to 1903. However, the names of other prime ministers are also found. After Chautaria Fateh Jung Shah, the country’s executive officer Rana is found to have gone to the family.
From 1903 to 2007, Nepal was ruled by Jahaniya Rana. During the Rana rule, there was a system of becoming prime ministers on the basis of dynastic tradition.
Rana Prime Ministers (1903-2007 BS)
7. Jung Bahadur Kunwar Rana (1903-1913, 1914-1933)
8. Bambahadur Kunwar Rana (1913-1914)
Krishna Bahadur Kunwar Rana was given executive power for a few months from 1914 to 1914. However, he is not seen as the prime minister.
Some historians have even listed him as prime minister.From 1914 to 1933, Jung Bahadur Kunwar Rana was found to be the Prime Minister again.
9. Ranodip Singh Kunwar Rana (Dist. 1933-1942)
10th Veer Shamsher Jung Bahadur Rana (b. 1942–1957)
11. Dev Shamsher Jung Bahadur Rana (1957 to 1958)
12. Chandra Shamsher Jung Bahadur Rana (1958 to 1986)
13. Bhim Shamsher Jung Bahadur Rana (1986 to 1989)
14. Juddha Shamsher Jung Bahadur Rana (1989 to 2002)
15. Padma Shamsher Jung Bahadur Rana (2002-2005)
16. Mohan Shamsher Jung Bahadur Rana , He was the Prime Minister from 2004 to 2007. He is the last prime minister of the Rana dynasty and the first prime minister since the establishment of democracy.
After Democracy (2007-2016 BS)
Democracy was established in 2007. After that, the names and tenure of the prime ministers till 2016 are as follows. Mohan Shamsher Jung Bahadur Rana had become the Prime Minister from the Rana faction from 2007 – 2008.
17. Matrika Prasad Koirala , He was the Prime Minister of Nepal from 2008 to 2009 and from 2008-2009, 2010-2011.
After this, King Tribhuvan had imposed autocracy from 30 July 2009 to 2 July 2010.
It is found that Matrika Prasad of the Nepali Congress has been the Prime Minister again from 2010 to 2011. After that, King Mahendra re-imposed autocracy from 2011 to 2012 BS
18. Tanka Prasad Acharya, Since 2012 He became the Prime Minister from the Nepal Praja Parishad Party.
19. Dr. K. I. Singh , He was the Prime Minister from the United Democratic Party from 2014 to 2014.
20. Suvarna Shamsher Rana was the chairperson of the Council of Ministers from 2014 to 2016.
21. Vishweshwar Prasad Koirala , He was the Prime Minister of the country from 2016-2017.
22. Dr. Tulsi Giri Chairman Council of Ministers, 2019-2021 and B.Sc. He became the Prime Minister from 2032-2034
23. Surya Bahadur Thapa Chairman Council of Ministers, From 2021 to 2023, the Prime Minister B.S. 2023 – 2025 2034,–2040,2054–2054
24. Kartinidhi Pishta was the Prime Minister of the country from 2025-2026 BS, 2028-2030 BS and 2034-2036 BS.
26. Lokendra Bahadur Chand 2040–2042, 2046–2047, 2053–2054, He became the Prime Minister of the country from 2059-2060 BS.
27. Marichman Singh Shrestha ,He was the Prime Minister from 2043-2046 BS
After the restoration of democracy
28. Krishnaprasad Bhattarai 2047 – 2048, 2056-2056, became the Prime Minister of the Nepali Congress.
29. Girija Prasad Koirala 2048–2051, B.Sc. 2054–2055,. 2055–2056, . 2056 – 2058, . He was the Prime Minister of the Nepali Congress from 2063 BS to 2065 BS.
30. Manmohan Adhikari . He became the Prime Minister of Nepal for nine months from 2051 BS to 2052 BS. He is the first communist prime minister of Nepal.
31. Sher Bahadur Deuwa , 2052 – 2053, 2058 – 2059, 2061 – 2061 2074.02.24– 2074.11.03 became the Prime Minister from the Nepali Congress.
Prime Ministers after the establishment of the Republic Nepal
32. Pushpa Kamal Dahal ‘Prachanda’ became the Prime Minister of the country from 2065-2066 BS, 2073-04-19 to 2074-02-23. and 2073-2074
33. Madhav Kumar Nepal He became the Prime Minister from 2066.2.11 to 2067.10.22.
34. Jhalanath Khanal He became the Prime Minister from 2067.10.23 to 2068.5.11.
35. Dr. Baburam Bhattarai He became the Prime Minister from 2068.5.12 to 2069.11.30.
36. Khilraj Regmi He was the Chairman of the Council of Ministers from 2069.12.1 to 2070.10.28.
37. Sushil Koirala He was the Prime Minister of the country from 2070.10.28 to 2072.6.24.
38. KP Sharma Oli He was the Prime Minister from 2072.6.25 to 2073.4.19 and is still the Prime Minister on 2074.11.03. and Currently.